Monday, August 2, 2010

delicious summer lemon pie

While flipping through the August issue of Southern Living, I found these lemon pie receipes and had to make them both right away! You can find them here and here.

Blake's grandmother used to make a lemon pie that many people in his family have the receipe too. I have never tried to replicate this pie, but after he indulged in a piece, he said it tasted very similar.

The difference between the two receipes is the ingredients. The "Your Way" pie is made with store bought items like lemon pudding, cream cheese, lemonade concentrate and a pre-made crust. The "Mama's Way" pie everything was homemade. Cracking and separating eggs, squeezing fresh lemon juice and pressing my own crust into a pan.
I squeezed this many lemons (plus another I already threw into the garbage disposal to make my kitchen smell pretty).
and I only got this much lemon juice. I suggest getting a large bag of lemons.

After starting the crust making process I realized that I didn't have a 9" pie plate the receipe called for (or any pie plate for that matter), so I opted to use a tart pan. It still turned out wonderful and golden brown.


I poured the filling into the tart pan and baked, cooled and chilled.


I devoured a piece of each pie. After all the stirring, mixing, baking and chilling, I think the "Mama's Way" (also known as Zesty Lemon Pie) is the winner! YUMMM...

No comments:

Post a Comment