Sunday, August 22, 2010

"Remember, as far as anyone knows, we're a nice, normal family." -Homer Simpson

What: Epps Family Reunion 2010
When: August 6-10
Where: Estes Park, CO

It's been about 9 years since the Epps family gathered together for a reunion. Unlike many of my friends families, my family is scattered all over the country--Wisconsin, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Virginia, Texas, California and Oklahoma.

AUGUST 6th
Travels started at 7 a.m. with plans to drive halfway to Pueblo, CO. The road was filled with naps, chats and books (or magazines).
Lunch: Marla's Restaurant - Guymon, OK. How can you pass up green chile chicken fried steak? Dad and Blake tried this venturous meal American-Mexican while the rest of us opted for a taco salad. All yummy but nothing out of this world. On the road again...

Detour: Capulin Volcano National Monument. Dad and I climbed over 8,100 feet above sea level while the others lagged behind. We reached the top where if we looked in one direction, we were looking at Oklahoma. On the trail to the top and back, we saw lizards, bugs and skunk bushes. Very interesting!
Last stop: Pueblo, CO. I was driving this last leg and after a couple of wrong turns, we made it to our hotel. After a quick freshen-up, we ventured to Shamrock Brewery for dinner. And a beer, of course! They change their beers often, but if you happen to be around there now, you should try their IPA. It's one of the best beers I've had in a while! Dad ordered World Famous Scotch Eggs for a side and they were deceivingly delicious. I was jealous. Blake bought a t-shirt from the pub that said "the liver is evil and it must be punished!"
After a long driving day and a couple beers, the bed was calling my name. Although we were now an hour ahead of our body clocks, waking up at 5:45 is still early!

AUGUST 7th
Big day ahead!! The drive to Cañon City was pretty short but well worth the early wake up call. Located in Cañon City is the Royal Gorge amusement park. We arrived early, walked over the bridge and petted elk - this really wasn't allowed, but they were so sweet and gentle! The bridge at Royal Gorge is the highest suspension bridge in the world.


The Royal Gorge is also home to the scariest sky coaster in the world. Courtney, Blake and I acquainted ourselves this "near death" experience and looking back, it's one of the most fun things I've done! Misson complete. Now off to Denver for lunch.

Warning: the next subject is something very near and dear to my heart. I am a changed woman because of it!
I love food just as much as anybody else. However, I prefer to not order burgers at restuarants because they never turn out just the way I want them. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives featured a restaurant in Denver that specialized in burgers and their toppings - The Cherry Cricket. The list was endless. Prior to reaching the restaurant, I did my research. My heart was set on "Little Cricket" with blackened seasoning, fresh jalepenos, onions and (are you ready?!) peanut butter!! I have never had a more delicious burger in my entire life. I'm completely serious. I think I even made a vow to not ever attempt ordering burgers anywhere else. Although pictures can't do this peice of heaven justice, I'm still going to share. I'm in love.
We also shared an appetizer of fried macaroni and they were tasty little bites, dipped in ranch of course. However, nothing - food related - could compare to The Cherry Cricket.
We pulled into Estes Park, Colorado a little before dinner time. Let the family reunion begin!
To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. In researching info on Capulin Volcano I came across your photo here. Very cool. It looks a little bit like Kenya, Africa! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete