Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Huntin Deer and Christmas Cheer

Three days before Christmas and I am finished with my shopping list. Actually, I finished on Sunday! I admit, I went to the mall this past weekend and joined the crazies in their last-minute gift adventures, but I am done. Insert sigh of relief. All I have to do now is sit back and relax and await the arrival of Christmas...
I take that back. On Christmas Eve, I have a very big job in our family. A majority of my family gathers (weather permitting) at my parent's house for Christmas Eve pizza. We have been baking them for as long as I can remember. As a curious child, I always involved myself in the pizza-making process some how. I would sit on the counter in flour, play with dough, eat the pepperonis. As I grew up, I took on more important tasks, such as topping the pizza, watching the oven, and still eating bits of topping before it could make it to the raw dough. Now, with the help of a few others, I am the pizza nazzi. Pizza making takes skill. Each year, I get a little better and it's perfected one year at a time. I still use the original hand-written receipe Papa Bob (grandpa) passed down to my mom and me and he still supervises our efforts. Although I am sworn to secrecy, I have a couple secrets to share: dough is made about 4 hours before bake time and the sauce is made the night before. It has to set and settle so all the flavors can shine through. That's all. I might wind up missing if anymore slips out. All homemade. All delicious. All exactly how we like it. I look forward to blessing my family with another great homemade pizza dinner on Friday night.

I have already watched Christmas Vacation for the past 4 nights as I fall asleep and I can't wait until the 24 hours of Christmas Story. Those bunny pajamas and piggy troff, get me everytime! Love laughter.

On other notes...Blake has been enjoying his break from school and hunting...a lot it seems. I'm okay with it because he brings me the game for future dinners. I have yet to cook game, with the exception of dove nuggets for Ashley's wedding shower back in August, but I am looking forward to it. Dove and deer currently occupy a space in my freezer and I'm sure duck will make it's way in too. If you have any good receipes I should try, please share. Otherwise, I will be exploring the internet for them, and hope they are actually good!
In all the years Blake and I have been together, I have never been hunting with him. It's a guy thing, right? Well that might all change soon. We are trying to find a time, before duck season ends, where I can join him and the dogs and "pound some ducks" as he would say. I have used a shotgun once in my life at a skeet shoot where, I might add, I shot about 4 out of 50. If I shoot one duck, I will be a happy hunter. Blake will start back up in January for his last semester. What a great feeling to be graduating!

And for New Years, Blake and I will be going to Dallas for New Year's Eve/New Year's and spending some quality time with my best friend in the whole wide world, Kasey! I couldn't be more excited, especially since I haven't ever gone anywhere for NYE. YEAH!

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! May His love surround you always and especially during this special time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment