Monday, October 18, 2010

"infamous" sausage rolls

Ever since I can remember, my mom has made these delicious sausage rolls. These rolls are almost indescribable. They are flaky and crisy, but also creamy and savory. These little bites were a hit at every breakfast related event. I, myself, have only attempted to make these a couple of times. The latest time was for Ashley's bridal breakfast on the day of her wedding. I can't decide if this was a good idea or not, because I love the delicious breakfast item, but stuffing my face when I'm supposed to fit into a non-elastic dress might not have been so smart. What's done is done. And the dress still fit, oh by the way.

I thought I would share the "infamous" sausage roll receipe with ya'll! So here it goes...
1 pound sausage rolls
1 brick (8 oz.) cream cheese
2 packages crescent rolls

Crumble and brown the sausage in a frying pan. Drain grease and place in mixing bowl.
Unwrap cream cheese and drop in mixing bowl. Stir thoroughly until well combined.

Now for the "scary" part. Unwind the crescent roll wrapper until it pops violently (or so I think)! Roll out the crescent rolls and keep in their rectangular form. Pinch the perferation line together and pat down flat. Turn over and pinch the same line and pat down again. This will prevent the roll from separating in the middle.
Next, scoop out some of the sausage and cheese mixture on to the roll. Smooth flat across the rectangle and roll up. Store on a plate, in a tupperware, or some other kind of coverable dish and place in the refrigerator overnight. 
Now for the next steps, I am photo-less. I brought these to Ashley's house for her bridal breakfast and they were cooked and consumed so quickly, pictures were simply impossible. Take the cold rolls and cut into slices. I usually cut into slices about an inch thick. Place slices on a cookie sheet and place in 350-degree oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. Keep your eye on these little bites, they are delicate and can burn quickly, especially on the bottom. Let cool for about 5 minutes and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment