Monday, February 7, 2011

bane of my existence

Last Sunday, I flew to New Orleans for work. I was supposed to return to Tulsa on Tuesday afternoon. As the hours passed by on Monday night and Tuesday, the weatherman kept upping the percentage of precipation in the form of snow. These predictions turned into reality, which in turn, left me stuck halfway home in Houston for a night because Tulsa International Airport shut down for the "artic blast". After three cancelled morning flights, two beers, and an additional hour delay my flight departed for Tulsa and I landed safely on Wednesday. It was more than safe. I believe this is one of the best landings in my flying history and it was on snow! (Thank You, Southwest Airlines for Captain Debbie. She was awesome!) I returned home to snow covering the ground and people walking in the street. My fiance liked to call it a zombie land. I have to say that I enjoyed the untouched perfection of my backyard and the fact that "Boss" was waist deep in it all and still cheering on the hogs!

Blake has a big heart for those stuck and spinning. He called me on Tuesday to say that he and his brother acquired a tow rope and were helping those who were stupid enough to drive stuck on the roads. We discussed how it isn't smart to drive in this weather, even with 4-wheel drive sometimes. He even rescued a policeman. What a guy! As we drove down the roads, we commented on 99% of those we passed and I think he helped about 50% - he can only do so much, people.  The shot below was him and another gentleman rocking a car until it was free from it's rut.

Blake was also kind enough to shovel my sidewalk and fling some salt around so it won't freeze again. Thank you very much dear, but these little minerals have become the bane of my existence.
They have attempted war on my hardwoods and the vacuum is on standby ready to suck up any mineral that enters the front door. I spent some of my work-free weekend on my hand and knees, Cindrella style, wiping my floor to remove foot and paw prints created by the salty water that now occupies my sidewalk.

And all that for...guess what?!? Another forecast of eight to ten inches from Tuesday evening to Wednesday afternoon. Gosh, that fifty-five degrees on Sunday looks wonderful.
I loved the first couple days of this stuff, but I bet my chauffeur fiance is done playing chauffeur and frankly, I'm done feeling helpless and, in a sense, trapped. I'm happy to be back at work, going to the gym, running errands in my own car, getting into the routine I once had. That is, if the non-four-wheel drive Jeep Grand Cherokee can hold up in the snow-covered neighborhoods. Crossing fingers for success and signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment