Thursday, November 25, 2010

glitterrr!!!!

The holidays are the perfect time to deck your home out in sparkly decorations. Since I didn't move into my house until December last year, I opted to not get a tree and just use some garland around the fireplace. In other words, my decorations were sparse. This year, I'm preparing for a tree and all the trimmings. One problem...I don't have the ornament collection I would like to have, nor the money to drop on ornaments to fill the tree. While I can't guarantee my tree will be filled this first year, I'm making ample effort to fully decorate...on a budget! I purchased some ornaments at TJ Maxx--I never walk out of this store empty handed. One day I was browsing through a Ballard Designs catalog and found these oranments and knew I wanted them.
With a $15.00 price tag + shipping and tax, they would set me back about $25.00...for ONLY THREE!! What?! These pinecones fall off my neighbor's tree and I can pick them up for free. For those who think I stole them, I didn't. They were rightfully in my yard and on my driveway, therefore, making them mine.

Receipe Ingredients:
Pinecones, picked up in my yard while raking leaves and my neighbor's pine needles = FREE!
Glitter = $5.00
Fake Snow (not in the can) = $2.50
Craft Glue, I used Modge Podge I already had at home, but it's about $3.50
Foam Paint Brush, I already had these too, but you can get a single brush for cheap = $1.00.
String, or some form of thread, I bought a sliver thread = $2.00

After tearing a paper sack and spreading it across the table, I gathered two bowls and a plate to put all my ingredients on. Here is my spread.


Start by unwinding string. You need enough to in and around the top layer of the pinecone and tie a knot, then tie a knot at the top so you can hang from your tree.

Next, brush the craft glue on the "scales" of the pinecone. Naturally, pinecones hang down, but you can paint whatever side of the scales you want depending on the look you're going for.

After the scales are good and covered with glue, hold the pinecone over the bowl of glitter and spoon on generously. The snow is optional, again depending on the look you're going for. I did some with glitter and some without. The sole reason I saved the snow until the last step is because I didn't want it to be more snow than glitter. 

When you have the coverage you like...mine look like this:
Place on another torn up paper sack and let dry overnight.
When your Christmas tree gets placed properly in your home, hang from branches with the string and watch them sparkle and shine.

I made 10 pinecone ornaments for about $14.00 and I have left over ingredients to make more when I find more pinecones on my property. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment