Saturday, November 27, 2010

turkey trot

While discussing holiday plans with a friend one day, we decided to look into any runs (races) that would be happening when she was in town for Thanksgiving. We landed on the Turkey Trot 5K starting at 9 a.m. on Black Friday. Seeing that I have proactively planned out many gifts in advance, I don't know that fighting the crowds on Black Friday in hopes of finding that perfectly cheap(er) gift for someone on my nice list is ideal. (Yes, I have a naughty list too and let's just hope you didn't land on it this year. Only time will tell.)

On top of this run/race being a distraction from the shopping, it helped worked off a couple hundred of the gazillion calories I consumed on Thanksgiving.
The Turkey Trot is also the kickoff for the BOK Center WinterFest which is a month long event that includes ice skating, concessions, a holiday mart and carnival rides. I have never attended the BOK Center WinterFest until now. I would like to return for some ice skating before the month is up.

Brooke and I would like to thank our wonderful moms for their support in our running efforts. They drove us there and stood out in the 30 degree weather from start to finish. They also attempted to catch some photos of us in action-- hard task to accomplish when we are flying by at lightening speeds!

Brooke and I both obtained awful side stiches while we were running. If you look closely, my fingers in digging into my side in attempt to subside pain as I cross the finish line. I blame the cold weather and, of course, quick feet. We both finished in under 30 minutes.
And we are done. Mom, thanks again for being there. You're the best! After the complaining of stiches and cold lungs, we walked to the car with our heads held high...we were proud!

We plan on doing this again next year (I think. Right, Brooke?) and we hope many more will join us. Thanks again Brooke for doing this with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment