Monday, November 29, 2010

Utica Utopia

This part of the year is filled with holidays, family and friend gatherings, traditions and, well, shopping. I have to admit that the shopping is the most fun and most frustrating part of the season. Attempting to find something one wants/needs and isn't too expensive is always an adventure. However, this year I started early so as not to break the bank when it gets down to the wire. Yes, that's right. I made a budget and I have already planned out about 5 or 6 of my Christmas gifts this year. Others are still processing and in due time will find their way to my "secret" hiding place.

Common Thanksgiving traditions include, but aren't limited too, turkey, stuffing, jellied cranberry sauce, bread rolls and pie. Some families may throw back bottle (or two) of wine, break the wishbone, watch football and fall into deep tryptophan naps, however, Tulsa has yet another tradition for Thanksgiving night. We fill our bellies and scurry down to Utica Square for "Light's On". All the trees are embellished with over 700,000 twinkling lights and Santa is in town for caroling and the countdown. The 40-year "Light's On" tradition has been on my tradition list for over 10 years! Nothing beats walking around Utica with the lights on and a cup of coffee.



Utica Square is closer to my home and I don't know if that is dangerous or harmless. I guess we will find out this very busy shopping season. It's hard to pass up a walk-by of the ever-changing Miss Jackson's windows and, again, the cup of coffee and outdoor shopping.

Even with these attractive, tempting windows, I must always keep in mind, 'tis the season for giving and not buying for oneself's closet. I should probably go to therapy or something, but the only therapy I know of is "retail therapy" and that doesn't seem to be a long term fix for anything.
Now that Thanksgiving is over, I'm getting extremely anxious for Christmas because that means friends and family gatherings, homemade Christmas Eve pizza and presents. Wishing everyone a joyous holiday season with family and friends. And may all your nights be filled with cheer (or cheers)!

No comments:

Post a Comment